LibraryThing

So, three strands came together in my mind, and led to an idea.

First, a friend of mine had a very successful book sale recently - and he used the LibraryThing website to do it. He catalogued them all, and people could examine his library and make offers.

Secondly, in the process of getting ready to move, one of the removal company reps asked, "if there was a fire and all your books were lost, would you know what they all were?" As I'd never catalogued them I figured I ought to do that as I packed them, and so I also got a LibraryThing account and have begun adding them, just over 200 done, maybe another 800 to go (not as many as I thought). I've added a link to my library at the bottom of the left hand column here.

Thirdly, reading "Jesus for President" reminded me of some values my wife and I held dear a few years ago, that have not been forgotten, but have been less at the forefront of our lives. And one of those values is holding things in common, sharing.

My idea is this - why don't a number of us pool our book collections? We could form a book sharing community, and post books to each other as we had need or interest in them? We could use any of the online archiving sites that would allow us to keep track of where books are, should another person need them. I am not interested in selling my collection, but I will share it. What do you think? Could it work? If you want in on this, or if you want to give me the reasons why it will or won't work let me know in the comments section.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World Book Night, One million Book Giveaway

An outpouring on outpourings

Should you sign the Coalition for Marriage Petition?