Christmas messages

I have taken some time the last few days, following the Christmas activities, to read some of the messages friends and family have sent in their greetings cards. I love the messages we send each other at Christmas.

I love too that we remember that we serve and have fellowship with a God who communicates with us. John uses his language carefully as he writes the gospel, “in the beginning was the word, and the word was God…and the word became incarnated and lived amongst us…”

God sends a maessage, a word, his word, the word. And that message? Well, it seems to me we’ve gotten a bit confused about it. Some have mistaken it as bad news “You’re in big trouble with God!” or an offer of fire insurance “heading for hell? Depend on Jesus…”. Some think the message is about rules, regulations, committees, structures, abstract concepts and remote ideals.

The message was and is more simple. God’s word to us at Christmas was and is “I love you”.

I love you.

I love you just as you are, but far too much to leave you that way.

I love you so much that I want to tell you in person, not just through prophets and ancient writers.

I love you so much I want you to know real peace, joy, hope, purpose.

I love you.

So, when someone sends you a message like that, what do you do? And when the gospel begins with that message, rather than the fallen state of humanity, what does that do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World Book Night, One million Book Giveaway

An outpouring on outpourings

Should you sign the Coalition for Marriage Petition?